Australian Sea Lion
The Australian Sea Lion is a type of sea lion that is native only to Australia. They live in coastal colonies along SA and WA shores.
Sea lions typically live for 10 years but have been reported to survive for up to 25 years! Males can weigh up to 300kg.
There is estimated to be approx 9,000-12,000 of these beautiful animals left in the wild. They were previously hunted and now face threats such as entanglement in nets and marine debris, reduction in food supply and negative impacts from pollution and climate change.
· The Australian Sea Lion is the only carnivorous aquatic mammal endemic to Australia and is extremely rare.
· Populations were destroyed due to hunting in the 18th and 19th centuries.
· Females grow to approx 100kg and makes can weigh up to 300kg. They can live up to 25 years of age.
· Pups are born with dark brown fur and moult at 3 moths old to look like an adult.
· Female Sea lions may stop mating if they no longer have access to their usual birthing location, this is why it is vital to protect their habitat.