Balu inspired many to be patient, caring and to appreciate the environment around us, as well as having a love for all living things, especially the ocean. Balu sadly passed away in 2016 at the young age of 1 year, from consuming 1080 poison, on land nearby to farmland in South Australia, which was absolutely devastating.
1080 is a toxic and awful poison that is still used to this day for the control of many species, native and non-native. It is incredibly toxic, and causes excruciating death to creatures it is consumed by. Unfortunately there is no anti-dote to 1080, and nothing could be done on a veterinary level to save Balu, many people lose beloved dogs, horses, and other pets across Australia and New Zealand as a result of this toxic poison, it is also unknown the statistics of effects on non-target wildlife.
We hope to encourage users of this poision to move away from the use of 1080 poison, in hope for more humane and less detrimental alternatives. You can help fight to ban 1080 poison, at the link here http://ban1080.org.au/